STEM Enrichment Program
The STEM Enrichment Program is available to 2022 Year 7 students and supports learners to complete their middle schooling with a strong focus on inquiry and integrated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) learning. Through enrichment of STEM learning, students will gain a deeper understanding of concepts across Science, Mathematics and Technology and experience opportunities for application of knowledge and skill to real world problems.
The program seeks to develop futures-orientated capabilities, promote entrepreneurial opportunities and extend creative, higher order thinking and problem-solving skills. Teachers embrace challenge-based learning approaches that promote inquiry, collaboration and connections with the local and global communities.
Features of the STEM Enrichment Program:
- Motivated, high-achieving students are able to work with their intellectual and social peers in the same STEM class
- Students participating in the STEM Enrichment Program will undertake a range of subjects together that are all underpinned by a connection through STEM and interdisciplinary learning. There is a strong focus on problem-solving, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking
- Students engage in learning that develops an entrepreneurial mindset, with a strong focus on new ways of thinking, entrepreneurial skills, knowledge and perspectives
- Students engage with industry partners to develop a greater awareness of career pathways in STEM and Entrepreneurialism
- The school has a proud tradition of academic excellence and graduates achieve outstanding results in high-end STEM subjects.
It is expected that students involved in the STEM Enrichment Program will:
- Engage and commit for the three years
- Intend completing SACE Stage 2 (Year 12) at Norwood Morialta High School
- Intend studying Mathematics, Science and/or Technology subjects in senior years
- Participate in national competitions, STEM related extension activities and excursions
- Contribute to the school’s wider co-curricular activities and leadership programs
- Uphold the school’s values and actively promote the program to the wider school community.
Curriculum and Pedagogy
The STEM Enrichment Program is aligned to the Australian Curriculum requirements and the International Baccalaureate Middle Years framework. All subjects reflect interdisciplinary approaches with an emphasis on three STEM pathways including: aeronautics, environmental science and sustainability, computer science and engineering, as well as integrating authentic industry and community links.
The selected STEM Enrichment Program students are placed together in a designated class and engage in all classes together except Languages and the Arts, where they will be able to make subject choices. Students may apply to study the Italian immersion Program as well as the STEM Enrichment Program.
Student will be supported by a dedicated STEM teacher who provides mentoring to meet individual student’s needs. Teachers are specially selected to teach in this program, undertake action research and are committed to implementing contemporary and innovative teaching and learning practices. The program and learning experiences are enhanced by our partnerships with local industry and academic partners.
An overview of the STEM Enrichment Program curriculum includes:
|STEM (Technology with STEM focus)|
*Students will be able to choose from Chinese, German, Greek, Italian, Italian Immersion or Japanese
The STEM Enrichment Program provides opportunities for students to personalise their learning pathways after completion of the 3 year program. Students will have the option to continue their STEM studies through the following pathways. Student progress and engagement is closely monitored. The school will develop an individual education plan for each student in consultation with students, parents and teachers. Learning experiences will be personalised which may involve further tailored enrichment, extension or acceleration to another year level for one or more subjects.
Benefits for Students
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- Access to the STEM Enrichment STEM Program
- The opportunity to study subjects with students who have similar interests and abilities
- The opportunity to be mentored by specially selected and qualified staff in a vibrant learning environment. Each student is mentored and receives an individualised learning plan.
- The opportunity to be involved in Entrepreneurial initiative such as Australian Business Week and Shark Tank.
- Be supported to develop an improved understanding and appreciation of STEM
- Engagement in a range of STEM competitions, activities and clubs to extend creative, problem-solving skills
- Completion of secondary schooling through a personalised pathway.
The STEM Enrichment STEM Program fee is an additional $50 annually for all three years of the program.
Applications for 2022 have now closed. You may direct enquiries to email@example.com
Chris Felstead or Jacqui van Ruiten
T 8365 0455 (Middle Campus) or 8364 2299 (Senior Campus)