Governance, Leadership & Policies
The Norwood Morialta High School (NMHS) community has a local focus, but a global vision.
This vision is shared between our community stakeholders (parents, caregivers, students, teachers and school management teams, both local and international students, community partners and at government level) and resonates strongly to support the purpose of the school: excellence and opportunity for all.
Like most other government schools, Norwood Morialta High School has a Governing Council who work in partnership with the staff to ensure effective governance and management of the school. The NMHS Governing Council determines strategic objectives and budgeting priorities.
Norwood Morialta High School has a vibrant, effective Governing Council that sees parents, members of our community, students and staff working together to improve the quality of learning. The Governing Council forms a very important function, in that it sets the overall direction and policy of the school.
The Norwood Morialta High School High School Governing Council comprises 16 passionate and committed members:
- The Principal (ex-officio)
- 12 elected Parent Representatives (with a 2-year tenure)
- 2 Community Representative (appointed by the Council)
- 2 Student Representatives (with voting rights, although 2 student representatives from each campus attend most meetings)
- 3 Nominated Staff Representatives (including the Business Manager and 2 staff members nominated by their staff colleagues).
2021 Norwood Morialta High School Governing Council Members
Sandra Mestros – Chair and Parent Representative
Simone Douglas – Deputy Chair and Parent Representative
Jo Adler – Parent Representative
Sarah Craddock – Parent Representative
Simon Critchley – Secretary and Parent Representative
Ric Dance – Parent Representative
Spiros Dimas – Parent Representative
Amanda Drury – Parent Representative
Kylie Jackel – Treasurer and Parent Representative
Anh Tuan Phung – Parent Representative
Lou Pyman – Parent Representative
Anna Ricci – Parent Representative
Hon Vincent Tarzia MP – Member for Hartley
Josh Bird – Staff Representative
Fran Millard – Executive & Staff Representative
Miah Nalpantidis – Staff Representative
Jacqui van Ruiten – Principal
The Norwood Morialta High School Governing Council meets twice a term at the senior campus. Members of our school community are welcome to attend meetings and contribute ideas to the future direction and strategic planning of our school. We encourage interested community members to check the school calendar for meeting dates.
Role of Council
- To involve the school community in the governance of the school by:
- Providing a focus and a forum for the involvement of parents and the school community
- Ascertaining the educational needs of the local community and the attitude of the local community to educational developments with the school; and
- Ensuring that the cultural and social diversity of the community is considered and particular needs are appropriately identified.
- To set the broad direction and vision of the school.
- Strategic planning for the school including:
- Developing, monitoring and reviewing the objectives and targets of the strategic plan; and
- Considering, approving and monitoring human resource and asset management plans.
- Determine policies for the school including policies for the safety, welfare and discipline of students.
- Determine the application of the total financial resources available to the school including the regular review of the budget.
- Monitor and review Services Agreements.
- Report to the school community and the Minister on:
- The strategic plan
- The finances of the school
- Operational plans and the Council’s operations
As a Governing Council and staff, we have also committed to ensuring each learner will thrive in a world class learning experience and have therefore identified the following priorities for 2021:
- Increasing student achievement in writing with a whole-school approach
- Increasing success and growth for all with a focus on personalised, intentional teaching and feedback
- Strengthening a culture of wellbeing for learning that empowers student agency and resiliency
- Seeking authorisation as a IB World School for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- Developing structures ad world-class learning programs for Year 7-12 students (in preparation for the co-location onto the one site from 2022)
- Undertaking a significant facility transformation to accommodate over 1700 students from 2022.
The NMHS Governing Council plays a critical role in ensuring our continued success – which naturally translates into our students’ successes.
Contacting your Governing Council
The council welcomes feedback and ideas from other parents and invites comments to be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Leadership Team
Norwood Morialta High School is committed to providing an engaging futures-orientated curriculum that develops students academically, socially and emotionally to become active, global citizens and lifelong learners. The Principal, supported by her Executive Leadership Team, work to ensure this vision is a reality and have direct responsibility for staff, teaching and learning, resource management and collaborating with the community to enhance improved outcomes for our young people.
The 2021 Executive Leadership Team for Norwood Morialta High School:
Principal – Jacqui Van Ruiten
Deputy Principal, Middle Campus Head – Amanda Walsh
Deputy Principal, Senior Campus Head – Brent Bloffwitch
Assistant Principal, Student Wellbeing – Jason Schutt
Assistant Principal, Organisational Systems – David Carter
STEM Innovations Leader – Chris Felstead
Business Manager – Fran Millard
Outlined below you will find Norwood Morialta High Schools policies.