To provide a rich and supportive education for powerful learners to develop the qualities to successfully pursue future opportunities, and the personal capacity for social and intercultural engagement.
Every student will graduate as an engaged global citizen to meet the challenges of a changing world.
Distinction, Diversity, Respect
- Creating a community of learners
- Developing students intellectually, socially and morally
- International learning
- Ethical learning
- A focus on quality
The Middle Years Programme: preparing students to be successful in school and to be active, lifelong learners
The IB MYP is a curriculum framework that is designed to meet the specific learning needs of students in the middle years of their schooling. It provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement—essential qualities for young people who are becoming global leaders. Some students begin the IBMYP in Year 6 at primary school, while others commence upon coming to Norwood Morialta High School in Year 8.
The IB MYP has a focus on international education, international mindedness and holistic learning, attributes that are strongly embraced at Norwood Morialta High School. The Norwood Morialta High School was among the first schools in Australia to offer the IB MYP when we began implementing it in 1997. Since this point many other Australian schools have followed suit and the programme has grown and developed substantially. The IB MYP is currently being studied by nearly one million students per year in over 3,700 different schools across 147 countries!
The IB aims to inspire a quest for learning throughout life that is marked by enthusiasm and empathy. The IB aspires to help schools
develop well-rounded students, who respond to challenges with optimism and an open mind, are confident in their own identities, make ethical decisions, join with others in celebrating our common humanity and are prepared to apply what they learn in real-world, complex and unpredictable situations. The IB offers high-quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
An IB education:
focuses on learners – the IB’s student-centred programmes promote healthy relationships, ethical responsibility and personal challenge
develops effective approaches to teaching and learning – IB Programmes help students to develop the attitudes and skills they need for both academic and personal success
works within global contexts – IB programmes increase understanding of languages and cultures, and explore globally significant ideas and issues
explores significant content – IB programmes offer a curriculum that is broad and balanced, conceptual and connected. Informed by values described in the learner profile.
The IB learner profile is the IB mission statement translated into a set of learning outcomes for the 21st century.
As IB learners students strive to be:
- MYP projects provide students the opportunity to demonstrate what they have learned in the MYP. All students in Year 10 at Norwood Morialta High School complete the Personal Project.
- Each student develops a personal project independently, producing a truly personal and creative piece of work that stands as a summative review of their ability to conduct independent work.
- The Personal Project is the culminating task of the IB MYP and is considered by many students to be one of the highlights of their middle school years. It involves students pursuing a topic of their own interest and undertaking an in-depth project that allows them to utilise the learning and skills they have developed across the programme.